fwd: ENERGY sessions at Boise AAPT mtg (Aug. 5-7)

Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 15:14:53 -0500
From: Art Hobson <ahobson@UARK.EDU>
Subject: P&S Education, June 2002

PHYSICS & SOCIETY EDUCATION
June 2002
SESSIONS AT THE BOISE MEETING
There will be lots of physics and society activity at this
meeting. Due partly to the existence of our P&S Education interest
group, and due partly to the fact that the meeting is in Boise near
some important energy facilities, AAPT decided to make "Energy" the
central theme of this meeting (see the cover page of the Summer 2002
Announcer). In addition to our usual "Physics and Society Education"
invited/contributed session (the 8th annual such session) and our
crackerbarrel session, there will be several sessions on energy,
sponsored by various AAPT committees, and a Plenary Session featuring
Al Bartlett. Here is a brief summary of all of these sessions and
events, listed in the order of their occurance:

* Monday 08:30-10:00, Physics and Society Education
Invited talks: Idaho's water at risk; The aquifer and the Idaho
National Engineering & Environmental Lab. Contributed talks: Energy
flow diagrams for physics teaching; Nuclear winter, nuclear summer or
nuclear freeze, nuclear drought.

* Monday 10:30-12:15, 21st Century Energy
Invited talks: Description of a direct-use geothermal heating
district; Energy for the 21st century--the role of a physics teacher.
Contributed talks: Utility screening curves--changes and their
implications; Energy 2100--a class project; Electrical energy
use--home activities for pre-college and college.

* Monday 10:30-12:00, Best Energy Bites I
[Unfortunately, this and the preceding session conflict. We tried to
avoid such conflicts, but apparently it couldn't be helped.]
Contributed talks: Why I consider nuclear power superior to coal and
other available alternatives; Middle school science and public
understanding of nuclear energy; Lab experiments with solar energy
devices; Sugar or TNT--which releases more energy; Active Physics
chapters on energy; Physics for a coal chemist.

* Monday 15;30-17:00, Crackerbarrel on Physics & Society Education
JOIN US to discuss how our group can be more effective in promoting
the teaching of physics,related societal topics such as energy,
environment, arms control, and pseudoscience. What can or should
physics teachers be doing in relation to such topics? We also need
to discuss some organizational issues, such as how to best set up
invited or contributed sessions and keeping our lines of
communication clear. Jane Flood will be our discussion leader.

* Tuesday 08:00-10:00, Best Energy Bites II
Contributed talks: An energy-modeling approach to college physics for
bioscience majors; Disappearing energy and energy bingo;
Earth-orbiting satellites--how much energy; Searching for energy
models; Introducing energy with learning cycles; use and misuse of
the work-energy theorem; clarifying energy concepts in thermal
physics; introducing renewable energy photovoltaics into a thermal
physics course and into an advanced lab.

* Tuesday 10:00-13:30 & 15:00-17:00, Poster Session II
"Topic 1" is titled "Energy." Under this topic, the following 7
posters will be grouped together: How much oil; Teaching about
energy in homes using the Earthship example; Energy and the confused
student I--work; Energy and the confused student II--language; Energy
and the confused student III--systems; energy and the confused
student IV--disconnected energy equations; teaching energy-related
concepts conceptually.

* Tuesday 10:30-12:15, Global and National Energy Policy
Invited talks: The Yucca Mountain project; The global energy
budget--a student exercise in modeling; Now, can anybody here count.
Contributed talks: The fundamentals of sustainability; Surprising
facts about the current population of Earth. [The 3rd invited talk
and the 2 contributed talks focus on exponential growth and
overpopulation.]

* Wednesday 10:30-11:30, Plenary Session III: Albert A. Bartlett
"Arithmetic, Population, and Energy." This talk examines the
consequences of steady growth on populations and energy resources.
In so doing, it becomes clear that there are limits.

* Wednesday 14:30-16:30, More Energy Bites
Contributed talks: Where do they shave the mass when energy is
released; Teaching physics formulas must include motion and various
field elements; Quantum gravity--a dilemma of energy in GR and QM;
Disproof of the principle of local conservation of energy in a
continuous medium; Energy from an underutilized sourse; Calculating
the escape velocities using the principle of energy conservation;
Force and potential energy in a space with n dimensions; The
mechanical twisting cat-energy explanation.

PHYSOC EMAIL LIST
To send an email message to everybody on the list, address it
to: <physoc@listserv.uark.edu>. Think before you hit "Send,"
because all 106 people on the list will receive your message.
The physoc list is for all of us. Use it for anything you
want to share with the group: alert us to publications or talks,
alert us to relevant news, send a copy of your own article or letter
to the editor, ask the group for information, etc.
If you know anybody who wants to join this list, ask them to
email me at ahobson@uark.edu (do NOT email physoc for this), with:
last name, first name, <email address>. OR they could sign in at
http://listserv.uark.edu and type in "physoc" as the list name. I
will pass around a physoc sign-up sheet at our sessions in Boise, for
people who would like to be on the list but are not now on it.
--
Art Hobson, Physics, U Arkansas, Fayetteville, AR 72701
See info about my liberal-arts physics textbook at

Jane Jackson, Co-Director, Modeling Instruction Program
Box 871504, Dept.of Physics & Astronomy,ASU,Tempe,AZ 85287
480-965-8438/fax:965-7331 <http://modeling.asu.edu>
We must manage our forests -- and our planet.