Re: X-rays Can be Dangerous

On Mon, 24 Jun 2002, Chris Horton wrote:

We live in a sea of ionizing radiation. Every second our body is being
bombarded by ionizing radiation from the decay of radionuclies in the rocks,
radioactive isotopes of carbon and nitrogen from the air and from cosmic
rays. Our bodies are evidently adapted to survival in this environment.
Diagnostic x-rays only add a few percent to this radiation dose.

Suppose you cut yourself shaving. No problem, since your body can repair
it. But if a large population keeps shaving and keeps cutting themselves
occasionally, are some of them in danger of dying?

:)

Maybe that's not a good analogy, because if you're shaving and cut
yourself, you carefully avoid shaving that area again. Were it not for
this tendency, perhaps a tiny portion of the population would randomly cut
themselves ten times in the same spot, then die from blood loss.

billb@eskimo.com http://amasci.com
Seattle, WA 206-789-0775 sciclub-list freenrg-L vortex-L webhead-L