From: "Justin Parke" <FIZIX29@AOL.COM>
To: <PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, June 11, 2002 8:43 AM
Subject: another math question

I am teaching a calculus III course at our local community college this
summer and I have a question about topics to include. I do not belong to a
math educators list but I figure you all will be just as helpful :) and will
post it here.

I am wondering if, when I introduce vector operators like the gradient,
divergence, and curl, I should go beyond just rectangular coordinates and
include cylindrical and spherical as well. We do discuss these coordinate
systems in terms of equations of surfaces etc but none of the textbooks
emply them in vector analysis and I don't understand why. From a physics
standpoint (like in electrostatics) performing these operations in spherical
coordinates is sometimes preferred over rectangular.

But if none of the calculus tectbooks do this then perhaps I am
overlooking a good reason why it ought not be done.

Thoughts?

Justin Parke