Re: Electric field in a grounded conductor

not completely.

a grounded conducting enclosure will shield the effect of internal
charge(s) (static case).

But the presence of the conductor will radically modify the [internal]
field, at least near the room. If you don't like theory, do the two
dimensional case using sl. conducting plotting paper. (Pasco) Ludwik
conducted a long thread on this subject without the shielding. [I did
post the effect of painting an encircling grounded conductor (not so
curiously grounding has little effect, but just the presence of the
encircling conductor does)] If you want to do some reading, I recommend
Feynman et al. V. II [It's more transparent than Harnwell and other
texts.] Be aware; he has a blooper on this subject. [The conductor must
be grounded to shield the outside from internal charges.]

bc

P.s. before doing anything consider the meaning of equipotential
[surface(s)] and the relationship of charge(s) to potential(s).

"Casuga, Adele" wrote:

I am having a very hard time explaining this question from "Physics" by
Eugene Hecht 1994 (p. 619 # 3)

"Figure Q3 shows a dipole in a room (which is represented by a large
grounded conductor). Make a rough sketch of its E-field and explain your
reasoning."

I would reason that the electric field inside the box would behave as if the
box weren't there. Outside the box, there shouldn't be any field. What
about at the inside and outside surface of the box?