Re: Unknown Apparatus (mercury)

Zinc powder is good for mopping up the smallest
droplets.

I'd read sulfur for that use.

bc

Matt Jusinski wrote:

Hg in hygrometers? Please explain.

oops! Try hydrometers in that sentence. We have some
old, pretty ones in wooden cases. Some have Pb and
some have Hg.

Also what have
you used as
substitute for the Hg barometers?

The school weather station.

More than once over the years I've opened lab draws to
find broken thermometers and their Hg rolling arond in
the bottom. There never has been a problem, but I can
imagine how something undesireable could happen with
the various chemicals that get left out from time to
time.