"Unconventional dynamo" = cylinder HPG

Hi Wojciech!

This regards your article "Unconventional Dynamo" in TPT April 2002 p220

Very interesting device you have there. I've seen that demonstration in
the past, but not such a simple version. (Actually, you can make yours
even simpler. Replace your array of magnets with a tripolar magnet: south
on both ends and north pole in the center, using a stack of disk magnets.)

This sort of device is closedly connected with Faraday's Disk, also known
as the Homopolar Generator or "HPG." Some hobbyists call these by the
name "N-machine." Another variant is called "Alexander's Wheel."

A few years ago I built various versions of these and made some GIF
diagrams. Take a look:

Two Faraday-disk generators
http://amasci.com/graphics/nmchcyl1.gif

Merge the two generators to create a cylindrical HPG
http://amasci.com/graphics/nmchcyl2.gif

Slotted-rotor self-excited HPG motor or generator (no magnet used)
http://amasci.com/freenrg/chevron.gif

The magnet feels no torque. The external circuit is the "stator."
http://amasci.com/freenrg/N_MACH1.GIF

Faraday's disk, but where's the rotor? Where's the stator?
http://amasci.com/freenrg/N_MACH2.GIF

Here is a book about this topic:

The Homopolar Handbook
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN%3D0964107015/

Here are other things I tried back in 1992:

Rather than a wire loop, enclose the whole magnet within a metal
cylinder. The generator still works. This was suggested in
Charles Yost's hobby journal ESJ, "Electric Spacecraft."

Rather than using bearings and two brushes, place the cylinder-assembly
upon two rails. Connect your ammeter across the rails. When you
force the cylinder-assembly to roll along, the meter detects the current
being created.

Instead of a generator, RUN THE DEVICE AS A MOTOR. Connect a power
supply to the rails mentioned above. Up to 30 amperes is required. The
cylinder-assembly will begin to roll along. Reverse the current, and it
rolls the other way.

Something I did not try: make TWO rail assemblies and TWO cylinder
assemblies. Connect the rail assemblies together electrically. Now,
when you roll one of the cylinders, it generates a large current, which
should run the OTHER cylinder like a motor! Push one, and the other
one moves. Or push the second, and the first one moves. (Does this
actually work?) It's a motor/generator pair.

In my version, I glued two 2cm neodymium supermagnets together so alike
poles were face-to-face. This creates a cylinder magnet with one pole on
the side of the cylinder, and the other two opposite poles on the ends.
This I placed within a copper tube, then rolled the copper tube on
parallel metal rails.

These devices are very strange. When operated as a generator, motions of
the magnet do not create any DC. When operated as a motor, the magnet
does not spin. The torque appears between the "rotor" conductors and the
connecting wires. If you hold the "rotor" still, and instead rotate the
brushes and the ammeter around it, you will create just as much current as
when you hold the brushes and ammeter still and instead turn only the
rotor.

billb@eskimo.com http://amasci.com
Seattle, WA 206-789-0775 sciclub-list freenrg-L vortex-L webhead-L