Re: Unknown Apparatus (mercury)

The binding post, block, and pins all ohm out as
common. It certainly could be from a counter. In any
event I'm not going to fill it with mercury to count a
pendulum swings. I have optical gates for that.

We have been making and effort to get Hg out of our
classrooms. This past year I've collected
mercury-containing devices from our HS science rooms.
About 100 thermometers, a dozen hygrometers, two nice
barometers. The chem storage will keep some as an
exhibit.

http://www.geocities.com/mjusinski/unknown.jpg

The grooved block is conductive???

The two stubs on the backside are perhaps for
physical mounting?

My guess would be that it's a mercury reservoir for
a 'homeopolar generator'.

A conductive disk on a horizontal axis. The axle is
one terminal and
the mercury pool is the other terminal. Put a
magnetic field across

http://www.geocities.com/mjusinski/unknown.jpg