Re: mercury :-(

kowalskil wrote:

The Current Balance we purchased from Pasco this year came
with two gallium pots. The silvery metal, after heated it a little,
looks like mercury and performs the same function (electric
contacts at two pivot points with minimal friction). Is gallium
better than mercury? I am not sure of it.

Decide for yourself:
http://www.jtbaker.com/msds/m1599.htm
http://www.acialloys.com/msds/ga.html
http://pearl1.lanl.gov/periodic/elements/31.html

One of them has a measurable vapor pressure under
operating conditions, the other doesn't.