Re: Advice for Tina and other rookies...

From: Tina Fanetti <FanettT@QUEST.WITCC.CC.IA.US>

Not to be snitty...but here is a wild idea
What about a class in graduate school on teaching? I mean really teaching not just being a teaching assistant.

It would be sooo useful. Here people throw around all this pedagogy that I have never heard of and need to look up.

The large universities would consider such a course a "waste of time" for grad students who are otherwise training to become researchers. You're correct that TA'ing is not even close to real life teaching. That's a controversial statement, but it's true. TA's exist primarily as a loophole in accreditation requirements.

Cheers,
Joe Heafner - Instructional Astronomy and Physics
CVAC Home Page <http://users.vnet.net/heafnerj/cvac.html>
My Book <http://www.willbell.com/new/fundephcomp.htm>
My Home Page <http://users.vnet.net/heafnerj/>