Re: Writing Lectures

Midway through a lecture, I also try to incorporate a demo that does one
of two things;

1. It shows an exception to what we have just learned (provoking
further thought)

2. Reinforces what was just taught (but intentionally does not go
well and requires help from the students)

There is another aspect to the use of demos: Student's brains need a time
to download from immediate memory to longer memory. Normally this would be
about every 10 min but, since television, the appropriate download time is
about 7 min. The presentation should pause/alter/change in some way for
this to happen -- otherwise the student's feeble brains will short
circuit. A demo helps.

Jim Green
mailto:JMGreen@sisna.com
http://users.sisna.com/jmgreen