Re: induced emf again

On Sat, 2 Jan 1904, kowalskil wrote:

In other
words the rod is treated as a battery causing a
current in the conducting loop.

Is this derivation desirable?

It's a simplified model, so we'd need to describe its limits.

I think the model is analogous to the model of the "poles" of a permanent
magnet. We know that the b-field of a bar magnet is endless loops (no
monopoles.) The sliding bar is the electrostatic version of a bar magnet:
it seems to have positive and negative poles, and if we treat these poles
as real, it simplifies the analysis. But in reality the V x B "field" is
made of endless loops, and our path of integration passes through the
sliding bar. Also, if we move our reference frame along with the bar,
then the positive and negative "poles" will originate with the moving
rails.

The presence of mobile charge within the sliding bar obscures things. As
you say, to see the motional e-field, remove the rails (or replace the bar
and the rails with insulating materials.)

billb@eskimo.com http://amasci.com
Seattle, WA 206-789-0775 sciclub-list freenrg-L vortex-L webhead-L