Re: The blueness of water

At 3:54 PM -0700 4/28/2002, William Beaty wrote:
And regarding salt water: sea salt is white. In so many words I'm
wondering if adding sea salt to a deep pool of fresh water would
significantly affect the color we see.

For a deep pool of water where the bottom was not a factor in reflecting
the incident light:
Since the sea salt would either be a diffuse reflector or a scattering
center, it would reduce the path length of the light in the water before it
was multiply scattered or reflected back to you eye, leading to a less blue
color of the water.

Weird swimming-pool effect: some relatives in San Jose have an outdoor
inground pool with black walls. It's very hard to see the surfaces, and
unless the sun is casting shadows, the depth of the pool looks scary.
Stare down into it and imagine gigantic finned torpedo shapes gliding
around in the depths. Yeesh.

Since most of the light that we see from a pool of water is reflected off
of the bottom or sides, painting the bottom and sides black leads to a
black poo of water. I agree - they are eerie. Morale: do not paint pool
sides/bottom dark colors.

Dr. Lawrence D. Woolf; General Atomics, 3550 General Atomics Court, Mail
Stop 15-242, San Diego, CA 92121