Re: "QED" excerpt

At 17:42 -0600 4/28/02, SSHS KPHOX wrote:

PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu writes:
For an excerpt from the current play "QED" go to:

That excerpt only further whetted my appetite for this performance. It
says it will close in NY June 3. That's a long way from Denver and before
school ends. Don't know if it is worth the trip ....Does any one know if
there are plans to take it elsewhere? ..or put it on tape?

IMO, if you can possibly swing it, perhaps by combining the trip with
some other events (I believe that it is showing only on Sunday and
Monday nights), it is well worth it. My wife and I went last
November, stayed with friends and did an afternoon at the
Metropolitan Museum of art, and caught a presentation of the NYC
opera. Granted NC isn't as far from NY as Denver is, but airline
fares are a pretty good deal these days.

As for doing it anywhere else, that is problematic. The play has not
yet been published, and it was written for Alan Alda, at his
instigation. I'm not sure anyone else could do it. I guess there are
people out there who could take on the role, but they may be few and
far between. In any event, I don't think there are any plans now for
a national tour, so if you can get to NY, by all means, do so.

Be warned--the critics don't like the play, but the physicists I know
have loved it. David Goodstein, who shared an office suite with him
at CalTech thought that Alda really captured the essence of Feynman.
He also remarked that, what actual science there was in the play, was
essentially correct. I didn't see anything to cause me to disagree
with that.

Hugh
--

Hugh Haskell