Plotting periodic properties on a spreadsheet/graph

Greetings:

I'm attempting to plot a 3-D graph of the ionization
energies, etc of the elements on the periodic table. I
want to put group # (1 - 18) on the x axis, period #
on the z axis and ionization energy on the y axis.

I've tried MS excel (97 version) and can only seem to
get, at best, a plot of IE vs atomic number along with
group # vs atomic number and period # vs atomic
number, all on the same graph.

The graph I would like to get would resemble a
topographic map. Somewhere, sometime, someone was
talking about such a graph and I thought they were
using excel. Is excel capable of doing such a plot or
do I need different spreadsheet/graphing software.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Tom