Re: arbitrary choice of zero of potential

At 10:24 AM 10/17/01 -0400, Ludwik Kowalski wrote:
the following two statements do seem to be contradictory.

"All potential energy must go to zero when the interacting
particles are infinitely far apart." [assertion 1]

" PEgrv = 0 can be chosen arbitrarily at any distance
between a particle and the center of our planet." [assertion 2]

Why is this not a paradox? If PEgrv MUST be zero at
infinity then we should never allow it to be zero at other
places, for example, at the sea level or at Mount Everest.

As I said before, the zero of potential can be chosen arbitrarily at ANY
point; there is no reason why it should be "between" anything. Indeed
once you have chosen a point (ANY point) you can choose ANY value for the
potential at that point, not necessarily zero. That is, you could choose a
gauge such that the potential is zero nowhere at all; the global minimum
could be 1000 units. Assertion [2] follows as a corollary, but should not
be taken as the preferred general statement.

I'm not 100% sure how to parse assertion [1]. If it means what I think it
means, it's just plain false. You might choose a gauge such that the
gravitational potential energy of a satellite far, far from the earth is
zero; that's your choice. But you cannot tell me I "must" choose the same
gauge; that's my choice, and you cannot take it away from me.

No physically-relevant quantity will depend on the choice of gauge. The
amount of fuel, time, etc. needed to launch the satellite into position
will be independent of the choice of gauge; such things will depend only
on point-to-point differences in potential.