Re: operational F, m, and a

At 09:44 AM 10/17/01 -0500, RAUBER, JOEL wrote:

I still think there is an implicit acceleration measurement occuring,
however.

No, not in any reasonable sense.

Please explain?

If you mean by "reasonable sense", what I actually do at the vegetable
counter of the grocery store, than OK. But I'm looking at Gedanken
Operations related to the foundations of mechanics, where I think such
accelerations are very important.

.... in order to use the fish scale to determine force in the context
of Newton's second law I have to make sure that the tick
mark scale on the
apparatus is a good inertial frame of reference, which means I must
implicitly make another kinematic measurement, namely that
the tick mark
scale has zero acceleration relative to some fiducial
inertial frame of
reference.

No. All you need is a snapshot showing the fish-scale
pointer relative to
the fish-scale graduations. If the whole system is
accelerating past you
at the time of the snapshot, so be it.

I don't know what you mean by a snapshot, if you literaly mean a picture at
one instant of time than I don't know that the fish scale was in equilibrium
by looking at a "snapshot".

The acceleration of the fish scale (or me) is very important if we are
talking about forces found in the usual statement of Newton's second law.

If you buy this, it means that equilibrium measurement
determinations of
force involve measurement of acceleration.

Nope. Why make it complicated? For pedagogical purposes, especially
introductory purposes, it suffices to consider static
situations.

I'm not discussing this at the moment for introductory purposes; or for
pedagogical purposes for the introductory classroom. Hence, what is found
below is irrelevant to the discussion (or at least the point I'm trying to
make, and socratically discuss with you and fellow members of the list;
which at this point is a thread discussing the fundamental foundations of
Newtonian Mechanics through Newton's laws.)

Start
simple: hang a weight from a fish scale. No acceleration.
Or pull on one
fish scale with another. No acceleration. If you want some useful
complexity, illustrate the vector character of the force
concept by hanging
a mass from two fish scales, using strings at funny angles.
No acceleration:

\ S
\ /
\ /

Talking about the acceleration of the fish-scale pointer is a
distraction
at best. The spring produces a force even when the pointer is not
accelerating relative to the graduations, so F=ma is clearly
irrelevant to
the primary function of the fish-scale. (Even in the
perverse case when
the pointer is accelerating relative to the graduations, this
introduces
only a small correction, assuming the mass of the fish-scale
mechanism is
small compared to the mass of the objects being weighed.)

Saying that the fish-scale depends on F=ma makes about as
much sense as
saying that force equals mass times optical wavelength,
because you can't
see the pointer unless you know what color it is. By that I mean that
color and pointer-acceleration have only the most remote,
tangential, and
superficial relationship to the normal operation of the fish-scale.