pvc pipes and projectiles

I can't remember which list it was on and who had written it, but I remember a
while back someone had written something they had done for their projectile
motion demos. I used to have my students do a lab while I was using a scaled
down "potato gun"...but I stopped after considering some safety issues.

A while back, someone had written about a launcher they made using 2 pvc pipes
and some surgical tubing (giant rubber band) to launch a golf ball. One pvc
pipe would fit inside and slide of the other pipe. The rubber band was attached
to the bottom of both pipes (I believe). The golf ball would be loaded inside
of it so that it rests ontop of the inner pipe, the inner pipe is pulled down,
and the inner pipe is snapped upward launching the golf ball. I've tried making
some, but have had limited success. Has anyone tried making one? Can anyone
offer any suggestions? I know it's difficult to explain, especially since I
don't have a picture of it.

Thanks,
Dwight Souder
Ashland, OH