Re: pvc pipes and projectiles

At 16:14 10/12/01 -0400, Dwight Souder wrote:

A while back, someone had written about a launcher
they made using 2 pvc pipes
and some surgical tubing (giant rubber band) to
launch a golf ball. One pvc
pipe would fit inside and slide of the other pipe.
The rubber band was attached
to the bottom of both pipes (I believe).
The golf ball would be loaded inside
of it so that it rests ontop of the inner pipe,
the inner pipe is pulled down,
and the inner pipe is snapped upward launching the
golf ball. I've tried making
some, but have had limited success.
Has anyone tried making one? Can anyone
offer any suggestions? I know it's difficult
to explain, especially since I
don't have a picture of it.

Thanks,
Dwight Souder
Ashland, OH

Using only the description provided by Dwight, it seems that
the effort needed to cock the device rises from zero to
some maximal value.
If we modeled elastic bands as having a limiting extension
of 700% then the available energy is proportional to abt 3/7
of the final force times the inner pipe's length.
[Some initial extension is needed to straighten the elastic band
connected between the bases of concentric pipes]

It might be useful to improve that factor of 3/7.
One way might be to prestretch the driving elastic to 3.5
times its natural length, and fix it from the upper end of
the outer pipe to the lower end of the inner pipe, so
that the maximal draw force again stretches it to a
limiting 700%
Now, the available energy seems to have increased to 0.75
of the final draw force times the inner pipe's length.

[This note illustrates how a concretization of a question
somewhat similar to Ludwik's abstract mode 1/2 k v^2 spring
query works, and can be elaborated to discuss compound
bows...]

brian whatcott <inet@intellisys.net> Altus OK
Eureka!