Re: work and energy

So here's my stab at it:

Okay, fire away. Is this overview basically okay or completely
flawed? Consider in particular the three points marked with a double
asterisk.

Split the kinetic energy term into the collective (translational and
rotational) kinetic energy of macroscopic objects (define this to be
simply delta K) and the remaining microscopic kinetic energy of the
constituents relative to their collective parts (delta K_micro).

Where does one put the vibrational attributes?

Split the internal work into work done by conservative forces and
that done by nonconservative forces (call the latter quantity
W_int,NC).

What is "internal work" done on/by a system?

(2) delta E_mech = 0 => W + Q = delta E_int ("first law of
thermodynamics" useful when we are not interested in macroscopic K or
U of the system)

What is Q? I think that you have just begun the annual war re "heat".

Jim Green
mailto:JMGreen@sisna.com
http://users.sisna.com/jmgreen