Re: Physics Definition of Work -- Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

On the other hand we do have a standard definition of "work
done by a force' or "work done by the net force". It a dot
product of F and dX; I am never confused about the sign.

Precisely, Ludwik, so use this!!

I am aware of the dilemma "Work done on a piston (by a gas) or
work done by the piston (on the gas)? If one is positive then
the other must be negative. But which one?" I WOULD SUPPORT
ANY CONVENTION DESIGNED TO ELIMINATE PRESENTLY EXISTING AMBIGUITY.
Who should we ask for changes of conventions (for the sake of
pedagogical and practical convenience)?
Ludwik Kowalski

Conventions are the crutch of pedantry. Just do the physics -- and teach
the kids in the process.

Consider the ubiquitous enclosed cylinder with a piston: If a force
presses the piston inward W=Fdotdx>0 ON the cylinder and deltaE>0 If the
gas in the cylinder presses the piston outward the W=Fdotdx >0 ON the
environment therefore W<0 on the cylinder=system and deltaE<0.

Why do we worry about the stumbling blocks.

Jim Green
mailto:JMGreen@sisna.com
http://users.sisna.com/jmgreen