Re: "Thinking Level" of FAA

On 17 Sep 2001, at 6:36, John Barrer wrote:

This may be off-topic, but has anyone else wondered why with all the
"increased security" being enacted, no one in our govt. seems to have
suggested the obvious low-cost and effective strategy of simply
banning ALL carry-on baggage? Convenient? No. Effective? Yes.

At this point one can only hope that more thought and action has been
and is being given to thwarting bio and chemical terrorist threats
than has been given to airport/airplane security. The kinds of minds
that planned attacks of this logistical complexity and savagery
almost certainly have already generated more than one such plan. "We
never could have imagined" is a phrase that we should not hear
again.

John Barrere
Apex HS

The Israeli airline is said to have the most effective security in the
world. I don't believe they have ever been hijacked. I've heard that
they keep their very strong cockpit door locked and do will not open it
for any reason until the plane is on the ground. I've also heard every
flight has at least one armed security guard (in mufti) on board. I
don't know if they ban all carry-on luggage.

I'll bet the Israeli giovernment has considered terrorist threats
involving CBR weapons. Perhaps President Bush and his team should take
a page out of their book on combatting terorism.

Paul O. Johnson