Re: Thinking Level of students

On Mon, 10 Sep 2001 10:19:24 -0500 Tina Fanetti
<FanettT@QUEST.WITCC.CC.IA.US> writes:
I assume we talking about
A) the basic new moon / 1st quarter / full moon geometry,
Even under this assumption, is the message that:
1) They weren't born knowing it, and can't picture it until it
has=
been
covered in class?<<

According to the research I have done and conducted, they have ideas
before coming to class, just not the right ones. They don't know
the geometry that causes which Moon phase and most believe that moon
phases are caused by shadows or blocking.

>> 2) The picture doesn't "stick" even after it has been covered
in=
class
in the usual way?<<

It doesn't stick after being taught. I surveyed students after
takin=
g an astronomy final in which the lunar phases were covered and they
=
could not tell me what caused the lunar phases or give a rough idea
a=
bout how far the earth and moon are from each other or a rough
estima=
te of the relative sizes.

3) They are intrinsically unable to grasp it, no matter how it
i=
s taught?<<

Starting to wonder about this.....

4) They can't do it quickly using mental images alone, even
thou=
gh they
could manage if given more time and/or pencil&paper and/or props to
w=
ork with?>>

If I remember correctly, research has hinted that giving students
pro=
ps tends to increase the ability to get the answer right.. which
woul=
d point to a better conception.

I think college students can think...they are just not encouraged.
I=
know in my classes they groan and moan when I try to make them
think=
.

Geometric relationships in general, and the earth/moon/sun
geometry in particular, is commonly introduced in 2nd grade, and
stud=
ents
are expected to (mostly) "get it" by 3rd grade or 4th grade. (You
ca=
confirm this by using google to find a bunch of 3rd-grade
syllabuses.=
also checked with someone who teaches 3rd grade and has advanced
trai=
ning
in developmental psychology.)<<<

Well then something must be wrong somewhere because my college
studen=
ts don't get it. Most have no idea what so ever of the Earth Moon
Su=
n Geometry

Tins

Meaning (4) would be no surprise -- and no problem.

Bottom line: I don't understand what the point is.....

Tina Fanetti
Physics Instructor
Western Iowa Technical Community College
4647 Stone Ave
Sioux City IA 51102
712-274-8733 ext 1429

Herb Gottlieb from New York City