Re: capacitance: singular matrices

There are three near-by metallic objects. #1, #2 and #3 not
touching each other. The objects are neutral and they are far
away from the walls, floors and ceilings. And there is an
exact replica of this setup in another far-away region.

In the first setup charges Q1, Q2 and Q3 are deliverd to the
objects. Nobody doubts that appropriate potentials, V1, V2
and V3 are setup on them immediately. We can measure these
voltage, for example, with ideal calibrated voltmeters, one
lead from each voltmeter goes to the object another is connected
to a wire going to "infinity" where V=0. The important point
is that we measure potentials, we do not calculate them from
the theoretical linear relations:

V1=B11*Q1 + B12*Q2 + B13*Q3
V2=B21*Q1 + B22*Q2 + B23*Q3 Equation (1)
V3=B31*Q1 + B32*Q2 + B33*Q3

Suppose this gedanken experiment has been performed and
the values of potentials are known. We go to the replica, and
perform a different experiment. Instead of supplying objects
with charges Q1, Q2 and Q3, we are imposing known V1,
V2 and V3 on them. This can be done by using three batteries
of cells. One terminal of each battery is at V=0 (with a wire
going to "infinity") while another has a desired potential.
We connect the ideal batteries to our objects, wait a little,
disconnect the batteries, and take them away.

Nobody doubts that charges are supplied to our objects from
the batteries. These charges must be exactly the same as in
our first setup. Why? Because charges must match potentials
no matter how we proceed. If V1, V2 and V3 in the second
setup are the same as in the first then, under ideal conditions,
the charges Q1, Q2 and Q3 must also be the same.

How does this differ from saying that every capacitance matrix
has one and only one inverse matrix? I do not see any place
for singularity here. Where am I wrong in thinking that to
every experimentally possible set of Bij there must be a
corresponding unique set of Cij, as defined by equation 2.

Q1=C12*V1 + C12*V2 + C13*V3
Q2=C21*V1 + C22*V2 + C23*V3 Equations (2)
Q3=C31*V1 + C32*V2 + C33*V3

Ludwik Kowalski

"John S. Denker" wrote:

I wrote:
The capacitance matrix doesn't have an inverse. It's singular.

...which is true.