Re: capacitance: singular matrices

At 01:04 PM 3/2/01 -0500, Ludwik Kowalski wrote:
a wire going to "infinity" where V=0.

Says who? How do you know V=0 at infinity?
The capacitance matrix sure doesn't know that. Nor does it care.

I do not see any place for singularity here.

You might want to check the definition of "singular matrix".

Where am I wrong in thinking that to
every experimentally possible set of Bij there must be a
corresponding unique set of Cij

Consider the matrix
. 3 -3 0
. C = -3 5 -2
. 0 -2 2

I'll give you $1000.00 if you can exhibit a matrix B such that B C = I, the
identity matrix.

The reasons why any capacitance matrix must be singular, and the
consequences thereof, and ways of dealing with it, were discussed at length
in my previous note.