Re: high-voltage transmission losses

A Sci Am article discussed this -- described a test line -- some time ago. I
thought by now we'd have super conducting transmission lines -- A "spin off"
from the SCSC?

bc

Chuck Britton wrote:

IIRC - there is at least ONE major HV DC transmission line
that runs into CA from the energy rich northern regions.

Every transmission line is limited by the insulation required for its
PEAK voltage (not rms).

Since DC STAYS close to the designed maximum voltage, it pumps an
appreciably larger amount than AC.
SOME of this gain is lost in the rectifying and inverting that goes
on at the input and output ends, but solid state electronics has
matured mightily since the first half of the last century.

Daniel Schroeder wrote:

Living in a state that supplies CA with electricity, I'm wondering
how much energy gets lost along the 700-mile high-voltage lines
between us and them. From the EIA website I know what the
national average is: about 9% energy loss in all transmission
between generators and users. But I have no idea how much of
this loss is on local distribution lines and how much is on
long-distance transmission lines. Does anyone know? Obviously
it would suffice to know the linear resistance of the lines,
but I don't know that either.

Dan Schroeder
Weber State University
Ogden, UT

britton@ncssm.edu you have forgotten everything
(919) 286-3366 x224 Albert Einstein, 1936