Re: water microstructure

It is also my understanding that the crystal structure persists throughout the
temperature range at which water is liquid, but as the temperature increases,
the hexagonal structures become less numerous and less complete (ie, only
fragments of the hexagon are observed).

For a complete description of the properties of water, I think it would be hard
to beat the small book by Felix Franks. I've only read the first edition, but
Books in Print indicates that a second edition is now out:
Water. Franks, F., 2000 Water. ISBN: 085404583X, The Royal Society of
Chemistry.

You might also be well served to read (and peruse the citations in)
Liu, K., et al. 1996. Characterization of a cage form of the water hexamer.
Nature 381: 501-503.

Charles Crook