Re: interesting pic for a classroom exercise?

<http://perso.club-internet.fr/legault/s010113.jpg>

Q: how far away is the plane from the camera?

My zeroth-order back of the envelope, unchecked, rough estimate, is
30 mi. Seems reasonable, but this depends linearly on the assumed
length of the plane in my approximation. People familiar with
airliners can probably recognize the plane immediately and know its
length...

Stefan Jeglinski

Using 60 m for the (projected) length of the plane, 33 minutes of arc
for the apparent diameter of the Sun (near perihelion), Latitude 48.783
degrees N and longitude 1.95 degrees E, I get the plane to be a slant
distance of 36 km, or 34 km distant at an altitude of 37,000 feet. The
plane is flying eastward, and perhaps someone will know if that is a
reasonable altitude under the circumstances.

Leigh

(The diameter and altitude of the Sun were found using Starry Night Pro.
I used the flat Earth approximation in this calculation, having already
given far too much time to it. Nonetheless, thanks, Stefan - a nice
problem, indeed.)