Re: a query on standards

At 08:58 10/24/00 -0600, you wrote:
///
Knowledge of Subject Matter

3. The teacher understands the concepts of form and function.

This is the issue I'm particularly interested in. Is this an important
subject matter theme in physics? How would you assess teacher or student
knowledge of this standard?

Thanks for your help in this matter.

Dewey
Dewey I. Dykstra, Jr.

In a commercial or industrial milieu, this is reminiscent of a purchase
contract mantra: "The item will replace in form, fit and function a..."
[preexisting equipment type.]
In the case of a hypothetical car:
form:
4 wheels, steel roof, 2 wheel drive, stick shift.

fit:
will allow a 6'5" person to enter the driver's position without
ducking her head.

Function:
will carry a 27 cu ft cube in the rear compartment with the fifth door
closed, at a speed in excess of 100 km/hr.

This is all very well, but I suspect it's unlikely to be the
desired intention.

Here's a slightly more plausible interpretation:
Forms of equations and expressions:
linear, first, second, third degree, polynomial, exponential,
infinite series. Usual solution types, etc., etc.

Forms of Hypotheses:
Controls, null, differential treatment, reduction of error.
Display and presentation of results.

Function:
A conception of transfer function, a sketch of various
transformations, their purpose etc., etc.

If this latter approach were needed, who would be better prepared
than a physics tutor?

brian whatcott <inet@intellisys.net> Altus OK
Eureka!