Re: a query on standards

Dewey,

I find such lists troubling. On a minor note: the imperative style of
writing the standards makes me feel that nobody could live up to them, not
even most science Ph.D's. Specific comments are interleaved below.

Joel Rauber
Joel_Rauber@sdstate.edu

Principle 1: Knowledge of Subject Matter

3. The teacher understands the concepts of form and function.

This is the issue I'm particularly interested in. Is this an
important
subject matter theme in physics? How would you assess
teacher or student
knowledge of this standard?

This is so vague as it stands that I have no idea how to assess this. The
authors must have had something in mind. I would say that it is not a
major
subject matter theme in physics other than perhaps as some sort of
metaphysical background. If one is talking experimental apparatus here I'd
more or less make the same comment with the addition that I believe one is
much more concerned with the functionality of the apparatus than its form.
(although I remember, form follows function).

Thanks for your help in this matter.

Dewey

PS: Just so you know what's in the rest in this category, here are the
other items in the Knowledge section of Principle 1. (They
divide up the
standards by knowledge, disposition, and performance types of
standards.)
I have some problems with #7 since if we knew the "answer" to
this one,
then we wouldn't be complaining about the rest.

1. The teacher knows the history and nature of science and scientific
theories.

2. The teacher understands that all sciences are related.

4. The teacher understands the interconnectedness among the science
disciplines.

5. The teacher understands the process of scientific inquiry.

6. The teacher knows how to investigate scientific phenomena,
interpret
findings, and communicate information to students.

7. The teacher knows how to effectively communicate and
reinforce science
concepts and principles through lessons, demonstrations, and
laboratory
activities.

What does #7 have to do with "Knowledge of Subject Matter", it seems to me
to have a lot more to do with Praxis of the Pedagogical art! Which I
assume
is addressed in some other Principle of the standards. To a partial extent
I'd make the same criticism of item #6.