Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2000 14:05:59 -0400
From: "E. Leonard Jossem"
Subject: Friction

ITo those considering why a block sliding on a table top comes to a
stop, I commend Eric Roger's "Demon Theory of Friction"

The Demon Theory of Friction
Eric Rogers

How do you know that it is friction that brings a rolling ball to a
stop and not demons? Suppose you answer this, while a neighbor,
Fauystus, argues for demons. The discussion might run thus:
You I don't believe in demons.
Faustus I do.
You Anyway, I don't see how demons can make frction.
Faustus They just stand in front of things and push to stop them from moving.
You I can't see any demons even on the roughest table.
Faustus They are too small, also transparent.
You But there is more friction on rough surfaces.
Faustus More demons.

--

S.Goelzer