Re: ACCELERATION

Leigh is always a thought-provoking read.
I quote his Kittel anecdote at length below.
And I admit I am surprised.

Leigh felt fooled because Kittel mentioned
he developed a math derivation using cos omega t
rather than sine omega t "which would have made the whole
effect go away".

I take the view that what Kittel meant was that the use
of a sine omega t in a pump frequency expression would have
made the whole derivation go away - not the physical effect.

It seems to me there can be cases where a derivation must
take a different course depending critically upon the shape
of the math terms chosen.

But I fear this story illustrates a not uncommon mindset
- that the math model/derivation etc., call it what you
will *is* the physics.
I am relieved to believe that math models are just that.

Brian