Re: (d/dt)ACCELERATION

David Abineri wrote:

> It seems that it
> is possible for an object to go from one acceleration (slope) to another
> instantaneously. When releasing an object to free fall the acceleration
> goes from 0 to 9.8 at the instant it is released does it not?

There are very few things in physics that are truly discontinuous. (There
are various discontinuities that arise in the theory of phase transitions
-- but only in the thermodynamic limit (infinitely large systems) and
subject to various other provisos.)

Sometimes we talk about collisions in a "hard-sphere" gas, but real gasses
are not hard spheres. The Lennard-Jones potential is continuously
differentiable at the points of interest.