Re: Cat's eyes.

But a sphere whose back surface is coated with a reflecting
layer would be multidirectional. Is this an acceptable model
for the glowing eyes of a cat when pupils are widely open?
What is the evolutionary advantage of eyes with reflecting
retinas?

I've only followed this thread peripherally, but I believe I've heard
it said before that the advantage is that the light is able to make a
second pass through the absorbing layer. More absorption, better
nocturnal vision.

It's a good story, but I don't know if it has much basis in fact.

Stefan Jeglinski