Re: (d/dt) ACCELERATION

At 10:14 AM 9/14/00 -0500, Jack Uretsky asserted:
Sudden change of velocity implies infinite acceleration, which is infinitely
destructive and therefore unphysical. Sudden change of acceleration
does not violate any physical principle, although it may be difficult
to achieve in particular cirmumstances. So the displacement-time graph
need be only twice differentiable.

At 21:30 9/16/00 -0400, John Denker responded in a reasoned voice:

I'm skeptical of this argument, for dimensional reasons among others.

Preliminary remark: One must always be careful with the meaning of
"infinity". In situations like this, the only safe procedure I know of is
to use it to denote the result of a limiting process, where something grows
without bound as we pass to the limit.

In this way I take Jack's statement to mean that there are physical
processes which in some limit can be extrapolated to give an unboundedly
sudden change in acceleration, i.e. an infinite jerk.
/snip/

I fear that I am acting in the role of the enthusiast who insists there
is always another construction possible, when one reminds him there
are no perpetual motions whatsoever.
All the same, I ask you to consider a plausible step change in
acceleration:

One arranges a wire that will yield at 30 newtons secured to the floor
at one end, and to the test mass of 2 kg at its other end.
One arranges a second wire that will break at 25 newton force, attached
to the test mass and pulled upwards by a tension spring of constant
5 newton per cm. This spring is pulled upwards with great deliberation,
so that no inertial effects supervene.

One expects the spring to stretch by about 5 cm before the upper wire
breaks. The motion of the test mass is a small slow upward motion
(with the straining of the lower wire) followed by a steady downward
acceleration due to gravity.
brian whatcott <inet@intellisys.net> Altus OK
Eureka!