Re: Fwd FYI

At 22:47 26 04 2000 , you wrote:
At 18:47 26 04 2000 , you wrote:
>THE POT GETS HOTTER THAN THE STOVE
>When you heat soup on the stove, you don't expect it to get hotter
>than the burner because heat normally flows from hot regions to cold
>ones.

As some of us have being trying to point out for years now, "heat" does not
"flow". This phenomenon is not so counterintuitive if that fact is
remembered.

>But now, in the 1 May PRL, a team using an experiment on the
>Russian space station MIR has shown otherwise: For a fluid
>consisting of liquid and gas phases on the verge of a transition,
>the gas temperature can exceed that of its surrounding heat source,
>a condition known as local overheating. This counterintuitive effect
>was predicted theoretically a decade ago and demonstrates the
>complex nature of heat transfer in fluids.

Again if we want to understand new phenomena, we should stop using caloric
thinking: "heat" is not a substance which is "transferred". Resist
correct thinking if you will, but you risk missing some of the
physics. This is a case in point.

>(R. Wunenburger et al., Phys. Rev. Lett. 84, 4100.
>COMPLETE Focus story at http://focus.aps.org/v5/st18.html
>Link to the paper: http://publish.aps.org/abstract/PRL/v84/p4100/)
>
>Forwarded to the list by
>Bob Sciamanda (W3NLV)