From: "Jim Green" <JMGreen@SISNA.COM>
To: <PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu>
Sent: Thursday, April 27, 2000 11:46 AM
Subject: Re: Fwd FYI

At 22:47 26 04 2000 , you wrote:
At 18:47 26 04 2000 , you wrote:
THE POT GETS HOTTER THAN THE STOVE
When you heat soup on the stove, you don't expect it to get hotter
than the burner because heat normally flows from hot regions to cold
ones.

As some of us have being trying to point out for years now, "heat" does
not
"flow". This phenomenon is not so counterintuitive if that fact is
remembered.

But now, in the 1 May PRL, a team using an experiment on the
Russian space station MIR has shown otherwise: For a fluid
consisting of liquid and gas phases on the verge of a transition,
the gas temperature can exceed that of its surrounding heat source,
a condition known as local overheating. This counterintuitive effect
was predicted theoretically a decade ago and demonstrates the
complex nature of heat transfer in fluids.

Again if we want to understand new phenomena, we should stop using
caloric
thinking: "heat" is not a substance which is "transferred". Resist
correct thinking if you will, but you risk missing some of the
physics. This is a case in point.

(R. Wunenburger et al., Phys. Rev. Lett. 84, 4100.
COMPLETE Focus story at http://focus.aps.org/v5/st18.html
Link to the paper: http://publish.aps.org/abstract/PRL/v84/p4100/)

Forwarded to the list by
Bob Sciamanda (W3NLV)