Re: Fresnel Lens

Leigh Palmer wrote:

... M. Fresnel invented these devices to collimate lighthouse
beacons, not to make high resolution optical images, and they
don't. ...

Let me add that the main purpose was to reduce the weight of
the lens (and parhaps to save some francs on the amount of glass).
A typical diameter was 1/2 m with about 5 to 10 steps. I doubt
that the wave aspect of light played any role in the original design.
I remember reading Fresnel's manuscripts (when the history of
physics library were in New York City) about 20 years ago.
Ludwik Kowalski

The rings of the lens are cut the way they are, closer together at the

edges, in order to make them more or less the same average
thickness overall. For a plastic lens this means it can be formed
from sheet stock. (This makes the poorest quality lenses.) If you
check out an automobile taillight lens you will probably find that
part of it is a Fresnel lens. Sealed beam headlights have another
variant for collimating light, a multi-prismatic lens.

Leigh