FW: Workshop/football physics

Dear physics teaching friends,
Do you want to play some football..............????
We have recently received notice that a proposal to create curriculum
extensions for the Tim Gay/Husker Vision "Physics of Football" video
vignettes will be funded by the TYC 21 grant and the National Science
Foundation. We are starting the process of searching for and selecting
interested partners for this project.
We proposed a 2-1/2 day workshop on June 6,7, and 8 in Omaha, NE "Physics
Education for the Populace: A Pilot Project for Developing Curriculum
Material Centered on the Physics of Sports-a TYC21 sponsored workshop"
(A copy of the proposal and an application form are attached as word
documents.)
The "Physics of Sports" workshop will be organized and led by Todd Leif,
Cloud County Community College, Concordia, KS and William Waggoner,
Metropolitan Community College, Omaha NE. Metropolitan Community College
in Omaha, Nebraska will serve as host. Workshop participation is open to
Two-Year College, Four-Year College, University, and High-school ranks.
Based on funding, participation will be limited to approximately twelve
participants. Selection will be based on the applicants areas of interest
and experience. (Generally we are seeking participants residing in the
following TYC Regions 5, 7 and 8.)
No travel funds are available, but participants will receive compensation
for room and meals. Participants will work in teams with other physics
instructors to produce curriculum extensions that are classroom ready.
Participants will be receiving stipends for the extensions they produce at
the conference workshop.
If you are an interested in attending email or fax a completed application
to Bill Waggoner bwaggoner@metropo.mccneb.edu
<mailto:bwaggoner@metropo.mccneb.edu> (fax 402- 738-4738) or Todd Leif,
leift@mg.cloudccc.cc.ks.us <mailto:leift@mg.cloudccc.cc.ks.us>. If you
need more information feel free to call.
Our target date for the final selection of this conference is April 15th.
Please check your calendars and make application in the next couple of
weeks.
A special note: sports fans, you might be interested in knowing that the
College World Series is taking place in Omaha, NE starting June 9.
Cheers,
Todd R. Leif Cloud County Community College (1-800-729-5101 Ext. 216)
William T. Waggoner Metropolitan Community College (1-800-228-9553 or w
402- 738 - 4752, h 402 553- 2574)
<<Faculty Application Form_.doc>> <<Grant Proposal.doc>> <<Grant
letter.htm>>

Bill Waggoner
Metropolitan Community College
PO 3777 Omaha NE 68103