Time is nothing?

At a recent workshop I ran into an interesting topic regarding time. Maybe I am slow to catch this so please excuse my ignorance. It was suggested by a cohort that physicists have suggested that time has no meaning in the realm of discoveries or the understanding of the physical world. The universe is merely a process. If you get close to the speed of light , all matter changes. This is the so called time dilation.Time has no meaning to matter. I can understand the "invention of time" to accommodate understanding of physical laws, but doesn't this contradict quantum mechanics. Doesn't this contradict the 4th dimension? All physical laws whether it be nuclear decay, erosion, or weather for that matter seem to graduate into successive stages bounded by time. Does anyone have some information here that could be short and sweet???