Re: Are ads appropriate for this list?

On Fri, 17 Mar 2000 14:15:23 -0500 John Howell <jhowell@EARLHAM.EDU>
writes:
In the last week, there have been 4 different posting on this list in
which authors advertize their own work. Is that an appropriate use
for this list?

My response is .... sometimes YES
and sometimes ....NO

If the work is an outstanding work which is easily understood by the
intended audience
and has few, if any, techical, conceptual, or other items that can be
misunderstood or
expressed better by anyone, I would be saddened if modesty by the
author failed to bring it to my attention.

On the other hand.... this network has some very sharp minds that ferret
out
hundreds of errors in anything that is ever written. If anyone is hoping
increase sales of their own work by bringing it to the attention of this
critical forum, they may be sadly disappointed when sales of their item
suddenly
crash.

Herb Gottlieb from New York City
(Where the things that I have written for publication are kept secret
from this network)