Re: Advice on teacher education?

I would certainly advise that (in any subject) an instructor needs at least
the knowledge (which usually means the formal training) at least one level
above that which will be taught. While most of us will have experienced the
'teacher' who was too advanced (never could come down to our level), most
will also have experienced the 'teacher' who was trying to instruct at their
highest level of understanding. This most often would happen at the
graduate level where only the lucky amongst us were blessed with instructors
who really knew the material well enough to distill it for the initiates.

The problem for a general science teacher is to get that one level beyond in
all the disciplines. It might suggest that special college level courses
need to be developed for middle-school teachers that can sufficiently do
this.

Rick

Richard W. Tarara
Associate Professor of Physics
Department of Chemistry & Physics
Saint Mary's College
Notre Dame, IN 46556
219-284-4664
rtarara@saintmarys.edu

Free Physics Instructional Software
Win9x, Win3.x, Dos, Mac, PowerMac versions.
Details at www.saintmarys.edu/~rtarara