Re: the value of science

On Thu, 2 Mar 2000, Hugh Haskell wrote:

I'm with you on this one, Leigh (at least about HST) If Jim will tell
us what his share of HST is, I'll split the cost of reimbursing him
with you. And I'll bet it comes to less than US$20 each.

Of course, Jim's whole premise in this thread is totally contrary to
the way any government must be run. If we all could pick and choose
the programs we sent our tax dollars to, the end result is that
nothing would be done.

I like the concept that appeared on US tax returns: "Donate $1 to the fund
use to pay for the presidential race." Check yes or no. What if there
was another line that said "Donate $1 to support the arts"... or science,
or education, space exploration, etc. Nobody can divert money from
current projects, but if large groups of people all feel the same, they
can aim the "firehose" at spots that might do some good.

billb@eskimo.com http://www.amasci.com