Re: Teaching to the test

Here's my anecdote concerning 'teaching to the test'. For a number of years
I ran an intensive, one-week, workshop for HS physics teachers preparing to
teach the AP Physics-B course. My approach was to recognize that the
purpose of the AP course was to present a college-equivalent course (Algebra
level for Physics-B) so that students mastering the material (as accessed by
the test) might be granted College credit or have required courses waived at
the College of their choice. In that approach, I was always much more
concerned that the teachers really understood what was currently being
taught at the College level (including info from our PER friends) and that
they were really comfortable with teaching problem solving than exactly what
the AP tests might ask. What the workshops tended to concentrate on were
methods of teaching problem solving and those areas of the Physics B
curriculum that teachers hadn't normally taught--especially Modern Physics
topics. That worked well early on when the workshops were filled with more
experienced teachers. In fact, I had a couple come back for a second year
to 'get some more of the same.' However, in later years, with the
population of the workshops tending towards the younger, less experienced
teachers, I found that ALL they wanted to do was to learn HOW TO TEACH TO
THE TEST. My efforts to stress that they needed to teach a GOOD,
College-Level course (and what that entailed) fell on deaf ears. Finally,
out of frustration, I gave up and have not taught the workshop for the past
three years.

Rick

Richard W. Tarara
Associate Professor of Physics
Department of Chemistry & Physics
Saint Mary's College
Notre Dame, IN 46556
219-284-4664
rtarara@saintmarys.edu

Free Physics Instructional Software
Win9x, Win3.x, Dos, Mac, PowerMac versions.
Details at www.saintmarys.edu/~rtarara