Re: exams on file

re: to post or not post exam/solutions:

There is an article from EJSE that discusses this issue, which splits physics
educators evenly. I like to post old exams and solutions, change texts
every 3-4 years to get new HW problems and spend a lot of time developing
exams. This behaviour does not suit people unwilling or unable to do so
for thier own classes.

I believe that if I can encourage my students to do more homework problems
and expose them to different problem contexts practicing for exams I'd be
foolish not to do so. However, I teach intro Alg. & Trig physics for nonmajors
and there are lots of sources for problems readily available.

See
http://unr.edu/homepage/jcannon/ejse/ejsev2n2.html
for an article on whether or not instructors want solutions manuals etc
made available to students, (lots of instructor commentary) and
http://unr.edu/homepage/jcannon/ejse/ejsev2n3.html
for a follow up (student attitudes)

I have a few older exams online at
http://purcell.phy.nau.edu/courses/general/ExamArchive.html
and am willing to host anyone else's HTML exams if they want me to. I will try
and get some other old exams online (I gave up due to a funding gap, but
recently aquired more $$ that could be used to do this).

Dan M

Dan MacIsaac, Assistant Professor of Physics and Astronomy, Northern AZ Univ
danmac@nau.edu http://purcell.phy.nau.edu PHYS-L list owner