Re: grade inflation, etc.

* I'm sad to hear that your students are applying to employers who are so
clueless that they can't tell the difference between a B in an advanced
course and an A in a "safe" course. Similarly I'm sad that the students
and their advisors don't realize that some employers *can* tell the
difference.

Sometimes even graduate admission committees don't concern themselves with
"safe" versus
more challenging courses. At my institution we have the usual two tracks of
physics:
a 4 sem hr noncalc course and a 5 sem hr calc-based course. Our calc-based
course is
much more challenging. When a medical school admissions fellow visited our
pre-meds,
I asked him if the med school had any interest in the level of physics
taken- the calc-based
versus the non-calc. I expected a resounding, "Yes! The course level is
closely considered!"
Instead, I heard, "Naw- all we care about is that there's 8 hours of
physics on the transcript."
(He said this in front of students!)Incidentally, this fellow was from a
med school on
the current top ten list. Sigh.

David
Dr. David Ward