Re: delta V = I R

It is common for one to use the characteristic curve (I vs. V) of a
non-linear resistive device in circuit design. Eg., vacuum tubes (I was 16
yrs old when the transistor was born), diodes, transistors, thermistors,
heaters, light bulbs, etc. One can use the resistance value at the
desired operating point for quiescent (bias) state evaluations. (eg., "DC
plate resistance" is a common specification for a vacuum tube, values are
listed for commonly used conditions.)

The main logical point is that one should have a definition of a quantity
before one asserts that its value is a constant for a certain material.

The main practical point is that, constant or not, R=V/I is a useful
quantity. Perhaps the most common, obvious example is the home light
bulb, with a much different on-resistance than cold resistance; it is
commonly used as an economical lab resistance with a high dissipative
capacity for loading various power devices (even RF transmitters) - its
(variable) resistance is here an important quantity.

I just thought of the Power Mosfet , which has various "on resistances"
specified for various gate voltages; a common motor controller. In short,
V/I is an important quantity, perhaps even more so when it is not
constant.

Bob

Bob Sciamanda (W3NLV)
Physics, Edinboro Univ of PA (em)