Re: Centripetal Force vs centrifugal field

At 09:17 AM 11/5/99 -0500, Richard Tarara wrote a very thoughtful message:

The question here is one of nomenclature and pedagogy.

I agree that there are tricky questions of nomenclature and pedagogy, but
there is also some physics hiding here.

We invent no special name for the net force that causes an object to speed
up or to slow down. We simply say that a = (net F)/m either along the
direction of motion or opposite the direction of motion. Of course, we have
no special names for these accelerations either.

That's a good statement of our physicists' point of view. But
pedagogically speaking, we need to realize that non-experts start out with
the notion that acceleration and deceleration refer (only) to changes in
speed! It is already a lesson in physics/nomenclature to get them to the
point where they can think about and talk about lateral "accelerations"
that don't change the speed.

Now with uniform circular
motion we have a problem. The acceleration points towards the center of the
motion but is always changing direction from a Cartesian point of view.

Exactly so.

It
is difficult to constantly describe this situation in full, so we use the
nomenclature 'centripetal acceleration' to make communication 'easier'.

Agreed. There is nothing special about the centripetal acceleration.
"Centripetal" is just an adjective (like "horizontal") describing the
direction of a perfectly ordinary force.

Once we've done that, then it is tempting (and has become conventional) to
call the NET FORCE that causes such an acceleration the centripetal force.

Depending on reference frame, and depending on what one means by NET FORCE,
such a convention could be harmless or it could be nonsense.

This does balance the more commonly used (outside of physics) term
centrifugal force, but from the non-accelerating frames you wish to use (and
I agree you should) such a thing as centrifugal force is non-existent, at
least in most of the cases where it is usually invoked.

Here's where my thoughts diverge from Rick's. I teach people to fly
airplanes. In this situation, it is *entirely* appropriate for the pilot
to use an accelerated reference frame (i.e. the turning airplane). In such
a frame there is a centrifugal field (I avoid calling it a centrifugal
force) which is just as real as the gravitational field. The techniques
for doing physics in a rotating reference frame have been known for over
150 years.

If/when someone chooses to use a nonrotating reference frame, that's fine.
But if/when someone else chooses a rotating reference frame, that's fine
also. Don't say that it is "outside of physics" to do so.

OK, so what's the problem? First, you need to dissuade students of the
notion that there are 'real' centrifugal forces acting. (Again, so Leigh
doesn't jump on me, we are considering the normal HS approach of considering
only inertial frames.)

Again, please don't overstate it. I happily agree that in a nonrotating
reference frame, there is no centrifugal field. But please don't go so far
as to say there is no such thing as a centrifugal field. You wouldn't
believe the sanctimonious email I get from people who discover I've talked
about the centrifugal field in my book.

Is it helpful to replace the centrifugal forces with
centripetal forces?

That's not the issue for me. As agreed earlier, there is a perfectly
ordinary force which can be described as centripetal. In the nonrotating
frame this is an unbalanced force resulting in acceleration, and there is
no centrifugal force. But one can hardly call this a "replacement"; see
next remark for more on this.

That has been the common pedagogy, but what many of us
have discovered is that when we do so, students then think of the
centripetal force AS A FORCE OF NATURE.

Agreed they think that, and agreed it's silly.

There is a special force (or class of forces) resulting from the
centrifugal field, and if centripetal forces are sold as a "replacement"
for centrifugal forces, it's no wonder kids are confused.

That is, if you ask them to draw a
force diagram for the person on the Ferris Wheel at the upmost position,
they would draw THREE forces--the weight of the person pulling down, the
chair pushing up, AND the centripetal force pulling down. That is, they
don't understand that the weight force is greater than the chair force such
that the net force downwards provides the necessary centripetal
acceleration.

Agreed.

In order to address this pedagogical problem, the suggestion has been that
we NOT use the term centripetal force, but rather the somewhat more
cumbersome 'net force that causes the centripetal acceleration'. Doing
such, at least with introductory students, might prevent the common problem
detailed above.

That might help, but there is bigger game afoot, as discussed above.