Re: Physics--Honing the Intellect

Thanks for your comments Jim.

The
object is to
make the students _want_ to participate, not punish them if
they don't.

Absolutely!!

But "prepared" to flunk half the class?? Maybe not; the political
pressures would be too great.

I hope no one took my comments to mean that I thought one should flunk
"half" the class as a desirable goal. I believe the goal should be a high
degree of rigour and learning; and if half the class fails to achieve some
level of learning and rigour than it should be OK to flunk half the class.
Conversely, if 90% of the class demonstrates superior to excellent skills in
the material of the course then they should all get "A's".

A voice from another little corner.

Joel