Re: A weighty subject

Way back in this chain some people were saying that we ought to define
weight as "whatever the scale reads." I said, in essence, be careful,
because unless you understand how your scale works, you might get some
very wrong answers. That led at least one list member to call this
"utter nonsense."

There are some in this thread who still are not getting the point: The
measurement of so called "weight" by one method or procedure as opposed to
another can be inconsistent, meaningless, useless, worthless, evil, wicked,
mean, bad, and/or nasty, but it can't be "wrong" -- at least until there is
some agreement as to what should be meant by the word "weight" -- which
this list has been unable to achieve -- Nor has the list concluded that it
is important in any way to have such an agreed upon definition.

It is the use of the word "wrong" which some may think is "utter nonsense" .

The concept of "weight" is just not that important in physics.

Jim Green
mailto:JMGreen@sisna.com
http://users.sisna.com/jmgreen