Re: A weighty subject

The moral of the story:

1. If you think weight is not well defined, then just check with the
International Bureau of Weights and Measures. Or just check
your physics
book.

I have never ever said that any of the "weight" viewpoints, in particular
the "weight = Mg" view, was not well defined. My guess is that the
International Bureau of Weights and Measures define mass quite well and
their definition matches up well with weight = Mg.

There are conversions between lbs and Newtons and lbs
and equivalent
mass weight. It's not to difficult to see that the
acceleration is g, not
1.5g or 0.5g.

This point hasn't been at issue.

2. If you think you can legally define weight to be the
measurement of
your
scale, then you are again wrong. Tell that to the inspector and the
inspector will say its not what your scale reads, its what my
scale reads.

I have not tried to propose a legal definition of weight; nor has anyone
else on this thread. We have been debating a "scientific" definition; one
to be used for the term weight as presented in the system of analysis known
as Newtonian mechanics; a few have generalized the discussion into other
systems, such as, GR.

I think you are setting up straw men to knock over.

Joel